Elgin Dental Care is passionate about oral health and preventative dentistry. This includes guiding our patients towards better oral hygiene, giving dietary advice and personal support for any dental issues.
Your dental check up will take around 30 minutes, where we look for any changes in soft tissues and supporting gums, or within your teeth. We will discuss any concerns you may have.
For new patients, or patients that have not attended in more than a 2 year period, an extensive examination is carried out and this will take around an hour.
State of the art equipment at our West London practice helps with early detection, minimising treatment. Physical examinations vary according to your needs, although our dentists tend to follow a comprehensive pathway.
A Route To Health
Most tooth loss is due to periodontal (gum) disease, or tooth decay, which take time to develop. Catching these at an initial stage is a key part of examinations, along with checking for other signs of oral disease:
- We begin by listening to any concerns you have about oral health, how you clean your teeth, discuss ways to keep your mouth healthy.
- Starting on the outside of your mouth, jaw function is examined, facial muscles checked, to see if they are affected by tooth grinding.
- Your glands will be examined, lymph nodes, thyroid, lips and tonsils for any signs of infection, or lesions which might be appearing.
- Abnormalities in bone structure, or the supporting structure of your teeth are analysed, for any early indications of oral cancer.
- Your gums will be carefully examined, to assess how healthy they are, whether they are receeding and if so, look at ways to halt this.
- Each tooth is inspected individually, to look for decay, or attrition caused by grinding, clenching, acid attack, or gastric reflux.
What your dentist sees is cross referenced with existing x-rays, any new abnormality, sensitivity or discomfort is investigated. We may suggest fresh x-rays, although only with justification to minimise exposure.
Where further exploration will help, we can use intra-oral cameras, or decay detecting sensors. Results related to dental issues, or wider medical conditions are shared and discussed, this is your examination.
Alongside looking for natural change, previous treatments will be checked. Details of new technology are shared, any treatment relevant to points you, or the examination have raised can be reviewed.
If an overview of the restorative, or cosmetic treatment available to you is not sufficient, we arrange an options meeting at no cost. A chance for you, perhaps friends, or family, to look in detail at potential dental treatment.
Our check ups and meetings are thorough, because your oral health is key to life and has implications on overall health. Catching problems early and arranging minimal solutions is our team’s greatest pleasure.